Tuesday, March 06, 2012

On the tourist trail

The day started with a Bagel breakfast, confusing to a Scotsman abroad
under pressure with all the locals around. How do you want the eggs?
Easy, sunny side up, turned. Cheese, yes, what type, Swiss, Cheddar,
Montery Jack, Peppper. The humbling went on so that I ended up with
this enormous plate of protein and a foil wrapped bagel with
everything. Well I didn't need to worry about lunch.
Julie was off to the Conference at the UN and I caught the downtown
tour bus, this took me all the way South to Wall Street and back up
the East side, fantastic. I would recommend this way of getting your
bearings around the city, the guide was very amusing, though I doubt
the German and Norwegian visitors understood much with the fast
delivery. Saying that the locals speak at such a pace I have a
problem at times, or maybe it's just an age thing.
I alighted at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel then walked up to Grand
Central Station. I knew what it looked like from photos but the
reality quite took my breath away. Entry to the building is through
fairly non-descript doors and then you are presented with this amazing
space. Ceiling high windows at either end, which are actually
walkways between the two sides of the station, marble balconies to the
right and left with a vaulted ceiling painted in green with the
constellations painted on in white. In the basement there are a large
number of restaurants and the famous whispering arches, where your
voice is carried across the ceiling of the vault.
In the evening we went on an open top bus tour, the magical tour, of
the city and across the East River to Brooklyn to view the skyscrapers
from the mainland. Fantastic sights and Julie has just about thawed
out from the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment