Saturday, July 21, 2012

Terror on the high seas.

A few years ago, after a visit to the London Boat Show, I was
convinced by a very nice man at the Jeckells Sails stand that the
thing I needed in my life to make my sailing pleasure complete, was a
Cruising Chute. For those not in the know this is a large, very large
and colourful sail. About 700 square feet of cloth that when filled
with anything more than a gentle zephyr inspires gut wrenching terror
in the crew.
Safe to say it doesn't get many outings as the wind never seems to be
quite right. Today we had another go, up it went and off we went at a
smart lick, unfortunately with me hanging onto a line attached to the
top and twisted all around the sail. Well we had it up for a few
minutes and as you can see David got a lot of amusement out of it, and
the picture of me reflects my thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. You want to just get yourself a standard gennaker and learn to take it down to windward with a winch or leeward on the dead run. If you have a loose footed main then you can stick it through the gap and heave it down into the cabin "letterbox" style.

    ReplyDelete