Friday, February 25, 2011

Up and down

My but we had a bumpy ride down to Colonsay today, not a great amount of wind, a yachtsman's gale but nothing normally to trouble us in particular.  No, it was the steep swell coming from the South West that made things uncomfortable.  It was probably due to the shallow water that it was like that, but the ship fell into the holes that appeared at the bow and things were clattering and banging about.

Fortunately the pier at Colonsay is well sheltered from that direction so despite a bit of a surge coming in we were in and off quickly.  Quite a number of passengers on board doing the round trip today, pity it's not better visibility for them.  A van and three cars were all that was going to the island, with only the 80 odd folk living there I guess it's not much surprise that there is such little traffic.

This Saturday we are being taken off the Mull run and heading out to Coll and Tiree again.  Not to everyone on board's pleasure, but for my mind the early start is more than compensated for in the pleasant scenery on the way there and back.  But then that might be the yachtsman in me, incidentally I heard dark mutterings today about b** wafi season starting up soon.  (WAFI Wind assisted flaming idiots)  Needless to say I don't go out of my way to mention my main hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment